The Glory of Jesus SDR – Ascended is the final lesson in our series. We find Jesus appearing to many people! In the Bible class I teased about listing all of the times that Jesus appeared – eleven in all – in the pages of Scripture. Here is that list with the references linked up.
- the women on their way back from the tomb (Matthew 28:9,10)
- Mary Magdalene (John 20:10-18)
- Peter (Luke 24:34 and 1 Corinthians 15:5)
- the Emmaus disciples (Mark 16:12 and Luke 24:13-35)
- the disciples early Easter evening (Mark 16:14,15; Luke 24:36-48; and John 20:19-23)
- the disciples including Thomas on the Sunday after Easter (John 20:24-29)
- several disciples by the Sea of Galilee (John 21:1-23)
- five hundred disciples (1 Corinthians 15:6)
- James (1 Corinthians 15:7)
- various disciples on a hill in Galilee (Matthew 28:16-20)
- various disciples on Ascension Day (Mark 16:19,20; Luke 24:50-53; and Acts 1:1-11)
The account (#4 on the list above) of the Emmaus disciples is fascinating because when Jesus appears to the men he DOESN’T say, “Guys it’s me!” That would’ve been what I did. He points them back to Scripture. Our faith is a conviction created by the Holy Spirit. There is plenty of evidence but that didn’t really matter two thousand years ago. It’s still doesn’t really matter. There is nothing wrong with apologetics and giving logical arguments to the truths of Scripture. The problem is one of the heart. We are rotten to the core. Jesus came to remove our sin and replace our dead heart with a living one. It beats for Jesus.
Want to hear more? Watch this weeks Bible study from our series – The Glory of Jesus SDR – Ascended.
Please click HERE to watch the film produced by our church body based on the gospel lesson for the this Sunday – Road to Emmaus.
Please click HERE to find the rest of the lessons.
Please click HERE for the Bible class slides.