Certainty in love seems like a pipe dream, doesn’t it? How can you really know what someone is feeling? How can you probe their heart to see the doubts? This is part of the problem with love in our modern society. In a nation that is so richly blessed with physical blessings the default to find certainty in love is… spending money!
Check out some stats on spending on Valentine’s Day this year.
- $21.8 Billion: Total Valentine’s Day spending projected for 2021 ($164.76 per person celebrating).
- $231 vs. $101: Men will spend more than twice as much as women, on average, for Valentine’s Day 2021.
- $8.1 Billion: Amount Americans will spend on jewelry ($4.1B), flowers ($2B) and candy ($2B).
- 1 in 6: Marriages begins online.
- 33%: Overall online dating activity increase across the US between February 1 and February 14.
The problem is that all of that doesn’t make couples certain in love.
Instead of focusing first on love between sinful people why not take a look at how God loves. Our God is the model for certainty in love. There is no doubt about how God feels about you because he sent Jesus to prove that love. Time of Grace ministries spent some time this week talking about how we can be certain of God’s love for us. You can find that series of videos HERE.
In our text we take time look at the last day of the Prophet Elijah. If it was your last day on earth, what certainty would you have? Could you get past the unknown of what God has in store for you? The truth is that there is nothing unknown. God tells us exactly what will happen. Of all the things that we can be certain of – our God’s love for us is at the top of the list. In fact – since it’s Valentine’s Day – God’s love is the model for our love.
Want to hear more? Watch this week’s message taken from 2 King: Certainty in Love.
Tag(s): Epiphany, Love
Speaker(s): Fred Guldberg